While many businesses have been around for years, it’s only recently that the majority of people have begun to use smartphones and tablets as their primary way to interact with the world. And because a large amount of these interactions are taking place on Google Maps, the company has made it easier than ever for businesses to show up there.
What is Google My Business?
Google My Business is a platform that allows businesses to manage their online presence across Google Search and Maps. It is a free and easy-to-use tool that helps businesses improve their visibility and reach potential customers.
With Google My Business, businesses can update their business information (such as hours, location, contact details, etc.), post updates and photos, respond to reviews, and track performance insights. In short, it is an all-in-one platform for managing your brand’s online presence on Google.
Also read: Learn The New Google Local Search Updates
If you’re not already using Google My Business, we highly recommend setting up a profile for your business. It only takes a few minutes to get started, and it could make a big difference in how potential customers find and interact with your business online.
How do I set up a Google My Business (Google Business Profile)?
Setting up a Google My Business (Google Business Profile) is easy and only takes a few minutes. You’ll need to have a Gmail account to sign into your Google My Business account. If you don’t have one, you can create one.
Once you’re signed in, click “Create a business or place” on the right-hand side of the screen.
Enter your business name and address. If your business has multiple locations, you can add them all here. Once you’ve entered your information, click “Continue.”
On the next screen, you’ll be asked to verify your business via postcard. Google will send a postcard with a verification code to your business location within a few days. Once you receive the postcard, enter the verification code on the next screen and click “Verify location.”
You’ll then be taken to your dashboard where you can edit your business information, hours, photos, and more. Be sure to take some time to fill out as much information as possible so potential customers can learn everything they need to know about your business!
Why should I use Google My Business (Google Business Profile)?
If you’re a business owner, chances are you’ve heard of Google My Business (formerly known as Google Business Profile). But what is it? And more importantly, why should you use it?
Google My Business is a free tool that allows businesses to manage their online presence across Google. This includes search results, maps, and Google+ pages. By claiming and verifying your business on Google My Business, you can control the information that potential customers see when they search for you online.
But why should you bother? Here are four good reasons:
- It’s free. There’s no reason not to take advantage of a free platform that can help improve your visibility online.
- It helps you appear in local search results. If someone searches for your type of business in your area, your Google My Business listing will show up in the results (assuming you’ve completed all the necessary information).
- It gives you an opportunity to stand out from the competition. With so many businesses competing for attention online, anything you can do to make yours stand out is valuable. And since potential customers can see your reviews and other information right on your listing, it’s a great way to set yourself apart from the competition.
- It helps you connect with customers. Customers can leave reviews and photos on your listing, which provides valuable feedback (and social proof) for other potential customers considering doing business with you.
What are the benefits of using Google My Business (Google Business Profile)?
Google My Business is a free and easy-to-use tool for businesses to manage their online presence across Google, including Search and Maps. By verifying and editing your business information, you can both help customers find you and tell them the story of your business.
Some benefits of using Google My Business include:
- Increased Visibility: When customers search for your business on Google, your Business Profile will show up in results, along with key information like your hours, website, directions, and photos. Plus, potential customers can get quick insights into what others are saying about your business right from the search results page.
- Improved Customer Service: Customers can easily find your contact information, hours of operation, and other important details right from your Business Profile. And if they have a question or concern, they can post it directly to your profile for you to respond to publicly.
- Greater Insights: With Google My Business, you can see how customers are interacting with your business online and make changes accordingly. For example, you can track how many people view and click through to your website from your Business Profile on Google Maps. You can also see insights like how many calls you get from your Business Profile listing in Search results.
How to Claim Your Own Website on Google My business?
Assuming you have already set up a Google My Business account, claiming your website on Google My Business is a simple process.
- Go to your Google My Business dashboard.
- Click on the “Info” tab.
- Scroll down to the “Website” section.
- Enter your website URL in the box provided and click “Apply.”
- Google will then verify that you own the website and claim it for your business profile
How to Optimize Your GMB Page for Local SEO
If you’re a business with a physical location that relies on local customers, then optimizing your Google My Business (GMB) page is essential to ensure you’re visible in relevant search results. Here are some tips on how to optimize your GMB page for local SEO:
- Claim and verify your listing. This is the first and most important step in optimizing your GMB page. Without claiming and verifying your listing, you won’t be able to make any changes or edits to your page, which means you won’t be able to take advantage of all the SEO benefits.
- Optimize your NAP (name, address, phone number). Your NAP should be consistent across all online directories and listings. Make sure your name, address, and phone number are accurate and up-to-date.
- Add photos and videos. Adding photos and videos is a great way to show potential customers what your business is all about. Include photos of your products or services, as well as any company branding (logos, etc.). You can also add video testimonials from happy customers or a tour of your business premises.
- Add relevant categories. When adding categories to your GMB listing, be as specific as possible. The more relevant and accurate your categories are, the easier it will be for potential customers to find you in search results.
- Use keywords in your descriptions.
Creating and maintaining a Google My Business profile is essential for any business that wants to be visible in search results. Not only does it help customers find your business, but it also allows you to control how your business appears in search results. And best of all, it’s free! If you haven’t already claimed and verified your business on Google My Business, now is the time to do so.